Different Types of Lentils
Lentils are often categorized by their color, which can range from yellow and red to green, brown or black (1Trusted Source
Here are some of the most common lentil types:
- Brown: These are the most widely eaten type. They have an earthy flavor, hold their shape well during cooking and are great in stews.
- Puy: These come from the French region Le Puy. They’re similar in color but about one-third of the size of green lentils and have a peppery taste.
- Green: These can vary in size and are usually a cheaper alternative to Puy lentils in recipes.
- Yellow and red: These lentils are split and cook quickly. They’re great for making dal and have a somewhat sweet and nutty flavor.
- Beluga: These are tiny black lentils that look almost like caviar. They make a great base for warm salads.